Jurisdictional Issues In Military Divorces

Unlike civilian divorces, military divorces frequently raise complex jurisdictional questions.  Military servicemembers stationed in Florida may call another state "home." Conversely, Florida residents may be stationed elsewhere as a result of their military commitment.  

Service members and their spouses are not limited to filing for divorce only in the state where they are based. They may also file where they have permanent residence, where they own property, or where they last lived as husband and wife. Many states impose long waits before you can get a divorce.  If you are a Florida resident and want a divorce quickly, we may be able to help.  Even if your spouse is not subject to jurisdiction here, they will frequently sign a settlement agreement just to get it done.  

In some cases, different laws govern jurisdiction for purposes of establishing support, deciding a divorce, and making an initial child custody determination.  Another set of rules govern support and custody modifications.  It is important to note that regardless of where a servicemember legally resides, issues concerning child custody are usually resolved in the state where the child has lived for the past six months.  Your lawyer should review the laws in each state to determine where jurisdiction is potentially available and advise which course of action best serves your needs.

We receive calls from servicemembers and spouses all over the globe. We also have numerous clients in states that impose long waits for a divorce. Wherever you might be, we can determine whether Florida has jurisdiction to hear your case.
— Richard J. Mockler

Jurisdictional issues can make or break a military divorce or family law case.  You should know that your attorney is going to get it right when it comes to invoking the jurisdiction of the court.

Please continue reading to learn more about us.  If you or someone you care about is facing a military divorce or family law case, we can help.  Please do not hesitate to call us today at (813) 251-6222 or contact us online.